Important Information

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice

Canterbury College has agreed to observe and be bound by the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 administered by the NZQA. Copies of the Code are available on request from Canterbury College or from the NZQA.


Immigration New Zealand (Visa)

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on right for employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through from Immigration New Zealand.

The reasonable assistance will be given to enable you, the student, to obtain a suitable visa before arriving; however, it is your responsibility to comply with the requirements of the immigration authorities.


Complaints Procedure

If you have any complaints about Canterbury College, please follow the following procedure:

  1. Discussing the matter with the staff member or student who is the subject of the complaint.
  2. If agreement cannot be reached with the staff member or student, the matter should be discussed with the Director of Studies (Business) or Director.
  3. If agreement still cannot be reached, the Director of Studies (Business) or Director will submit the appeal to the Advisory Board for consideration.
  4. Students may make a formal complaint to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority where the above steps have not resolved the matter to their satisfaction, OR iStudent Complaints:
    1. The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA); PO Box 160, Wellington
    2. iStudent Complaints; PO Box 2272, Wellington 6140 (International Students only).

Please also see this brochure on how to make a complaint.



All the courses in the Canterbury College programmes do not generally include holidays. If you study for less than 13 weeks, no holidays are included.

However, you may apply for leave with Canterbury College. If it is approved, Canterbury College allows holidays on the following basis:

  • If your course is 13-16 weeks, you are allowed 1 week’s leave; or
  • If your course is 17-24 weeks, you are allowed 2 weeks’ leave; and
  • If your course is more than 24 weeks, you are allowed 3 weeks’ leave.

If you are granted approved leave, you will be given a pro rata course extension. Unapproved leave will be recorded as an absence.

You must apply for leave at our office at least 2 weeks in advance for New Zealand leave and at least 4 weeks in advance for Overseas leave. You many not have more than 1 approved break during the course.

College will closes for 2 weeks each year in  December/January and will close for all NZ statutory holidays.  Exact dates can be obtained from the office, or from here. Auckland campus will be closed on Auckland Anniversary Day, and Christchurch campus will be closed on Christchurch Show Day.

Your home country’s public holidays are not recognised in New Zealand and you should attend class on these days.